Pierson Place Historic District is designed following a grid street pattern, with 60-foot wide roads and vertical curbs. Because the area was in the County when it was primarily built out between 1910 and 1956, there are no sidewalks.
The neighborhood is characterized by an established traditional landscape. Turf, mature trees, and shrubs are prevalent. There is a sense of openness, achieved by the pattern of modestly-sized homes on relatively large lots (typical lots are more than 8,000 square feet), with front yard setbacks that often exceed 30 feet. Many of the houses have detached rear garages. Attached carports are more prevalent on homes from the 1940s and 1950s, and carport additions are a common pattern of alteration seen in the neighborhood. Other alterations include carport enclosures, room additions, window replacements, stucco applied to exterior walls, and painted brick.
A sense of uniformity is achieved within the neighborhood by the pattern of setbacks, house size, and scale. Most houses are one story. At the same time, Pierson Place illustrates a diverse range of architectural styles, building types, and materials as a result of its long period of build-out beginning in the 1920s and continuing into the early 1960s. In the late 1950s, the pattern of small scale development gave way to infill with larger, modern multifamily complexes, often characterized by two stories and multiple units within each building.